Thursday, September 27, 2007

Self Portrait Challenge--- Bathrooms!


Test
Originally uploaded by Sparky Sadie
This is not the most exciting first post for the Self Portrait Challenge, but it just fell this way.

My bathroom flooded this evening.... as I am applying for the Peace Corps right now, I decided to take this as a sign because some things I know to be true about living in a third world or developing country is that you most likely will not always have reliable plumbing. After getting my PC nomination to Africa yesterday I've had two issues with the pipes in my old little studio. As I tried to take a shower this morning, I turned it to hot hot hot as I normally do. I like to feel it tingle with heat. It did not want to cooperate. It finally got a little warm, so I jumped in and scrubbed down. But soon enough it was cold and barely running. Just as I was about to get out, it scored my back at full blast. I decided to take this spastic stream as a test... what will I have in Africa? Barely a trickle of cold water? Will I have water every day? So much research to do!

The second half of my little test came as I got home at 10 this evening, after I used the little girl's room. I flushed, as normal, and as I turned to leave the restroom I heard a wooooosh of water to the floor! I have no plunger... I don't even have a proper mop! Now my bathroom floor is covered in toilet water and I'm not really sure what to do about it, so I took out my camera and made a few waves. In toilet water. Gross!

Just another little hardship to get me used to not living the easy life.

No comments: